Skip to main content Skip to site navigation

Rate Payers Glossary of Terms

Post

EMWD uses a number of terms throughout this website and on the billing statement. Please review these terms for more detailed information.

Next Read Date

The next read date is the next time the meter is scheduled to be read for billing purposes. We will make every attempt to read on this date. However, due to emergencies, EMWD reserves the right to modify the read date if necessary.


Water Charges

Commodity, Low Volume, Budgeted, Excessive, Wasteful

These charges are for water actually used. Charges vary depending on the area of water delivery, the source of water supply, and the energy it takes to deliver it to the property.

Residential customers on water budgets are billed at the “Tier 1 – Low Volume” rate for the first 20 percent of the monthly water budget. The remaining 80 percent of the monthly water budget is billed at the “Tier 2 – Budgeted” rate.

Water Service

The water service charge covers the cost of customer services such as reading and maintaining meters, processing bills, posting payments and repairing water mains. Daily service charges are applied to open accounts whether water is used or not. Charges vary with the size of the meter, the number of units served, and the location within EMWD’s service area.

Billing Units (BU)

1 billing unit (BU) equals one hundred cubic feet (748 gallons). Some accounts may be billed in acre feet. Billing units are rounded to the nearest whole number.

Water Supply & Reliability Capital Projects

The water supply & reliability capital projects fee provides funds for investing in the preservation and protection of local water supply with projects such as recycled water and desalination.

Meter Rental

The meter rental fee is a per day rental fee charged to temporary hydrant meter accounts in lieu of a daily service charge.


Sewer Charges

Sewer Service

The sewer service charge covers the cost of collecting, transporting, treating, and disposing of sewage; and for maintenance of treatment plants and sewer facilities.

Sewer System Capital Projects

The sewer system capital projects fee provides funds for future sewer system capital improvement projects, major maintenance, and upgrades.


Other Charges

Other Sewer

The other sewer charge is assessed to accounts within the cities of Hemet, San Jacinto, and Perris where sewage is transported by a collection system owned by another agency and delivered to an EMWD treatment plant.

Sewer Cost Allocation

The sewer cost allocation charge is assessed to accounts within the City of Hemet city limits, or sphere of influence.

Questions or disputes about the sewer cost allocation charge should be directed to the City of Hemet at 951-765-2350.

Refuse/SRRE/Organic Recyl-City Perris

The Refuse/SRRE/Organic Recyl-City Perris charge is billed as a courtesy for the City of Perris. The charge includes costs for refuse disposal provided by CR&R Incorporated as well as City of Perris’ SRRE (source reduction and recycling element) costs for preparing, adopting, and implementing a solid waste management program, and managing the organic recycling program.

Questions or disputes about the refuse disposal charge should be directed to CR&R Incorporated at 800-755-8112.

Questions or disputes about the SRRE charge should be directed to the City of Perris at 951-943-4610.

City Service

The city service charge is billed as a courtesy for the City of Hemet for their storm drain system costs.

Questions or disputes about the city service charge should be directed to the City of Hemet at 951-765-2350.

Utility Tax

The utility tax charge is billed as a courtesy for the cities of Canyon Lake or Moreno Valley.

Questions or disputes about the utility tax charge should be directed to the City of Canyon Lake at 951-244-2955 or the City of Moreno Valley at 951-413-3080.

Returned Payment Fee

A returned payment fee is assessed on all payments returned by the bank unpaid. When a payment is returned by the bank unpaid, water service may be discontinued without further notice.

Security Deposit

A security deposit is assessed to all new accounts. It may also be assessed or increased on accounts that are shut off due to non-payment.

Due Date

The due date is the date bills are due and payable. Accounts become past due five (5) days after the due date. Payment arrangements may be available. Please contact our Customer Service department as soon as possible.

Late Fee

A late fee may be assessed when monthly billing charges have not been paid in full by the due date of the bill.

Reconnection Fee

A reconnection fee is assessed to services that are shut off for non-payment. All charges become due and payable immediately in order to reconnect service.

Disputed Bills

Should you question this bill, please request an explanation and/or re-reading of your meter within 10 days of the billing date by calling 800-426-3693.

Commands