Water budgets are designed to give customers the water they need for both indoor and outdoor uses, specific to the household and/or business size and landscape area. Tiered water rates reward customers who use water efficiently and discourage water waste.
Individualized Water Budgets for Residential Customers
- The formula uses 55 gallons per person, per day, which is based on efficiency standards set by state law as well as water for the irrigated area of homes based on a percentage of the evapotranspiration (ET) rate - the measure of irrigation needs based on rainfall, temperature, and other climate factors. The ET percentage is based on the following:
- Homes connected prior to December 31, 2010 receive 80 percent of ET
- Homes connected between Jan. 1, 2011, to May 31, 2015, receive 70 percent of ET
- Homes connected on or after June 1, 2015, receive 50 percent of ET
The number of billing units in the water budget varies every month depending on daily weather information gathered throughout EMWD’s service area. Therefore, customers will receive more water in the summer than in the winter. Each customer’s estimated irrigated area is listed on their billing statement. Irrigated areas may be customized through EMWD’s variance process. Customers with pools, spas, and/or ponds may note that the evaporation rate is approximately equal to the amount of water that turf grass requires. Pools and spas are included in the irrigated area square footage.
For information on Commercial, Industrial, and Institutional customer water budgets, please click here.
How Residential Customer Tiered Rates Work
The amount of water billed at each tier is based on the availability of specific water supply sources – groundwater, treated groundwater and more expensive imported supplies. All residential customers are billed at the “Tier 1 – Low Volume” rate for the first 20 percent of their monthly water budget as that is the proportional amount of local, lowest-cost supplies available.
- The remaining portion of the water budget will be billed at the “Tier 2 – Budgeted rate” for budgeted supplies.
- Tier 3 and 4 rates cover any usage in excess of the total budget.
Please select a link below to learn more about...
For information on Commercial, Industrial, and Institutional customer tiered rates, please click here.