EMWD Assist (TEST SITE)
EMWD Assist provides low-income customers who have a signed medical certificate from their primary care provider with extended payment amortization options to help them avoid discontinuation of residential water service.
Conditions for Participation
- Customer must submit the certification of a primary care provider, that discontinuation of residential water service will be life threatening to, or pose a serious threat to the health and safety of, a resident of the premises where residential water service is provided.
- Customer must meet low-income qualifications and demonstrate that he or she is financially unable to pay with EMWD’s normal billing cycle.
- Customer must agree to reverify eligibility and recertify their application, when requested.
- Customer must notify EMWD within 30 days if they no longer qualify for EMWD Assist.
There are two ways to qualify:
1. Public Assistance Programs
Customer or another resident of the premises receives benefits from any of the following programs.
Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
CalFresh (Food Stamps)
CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal TANF
Head Start Income Eligible – Tribal Only
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Medi-Cal for Families A & B
National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
2. Maximum Household Income
Customer’s declares the total annual household income is less than 200 percent of the federal poverty level, as defined in the Federal Poverty Guidelines in the table below.Note: Guidelines effective June 1, 2019 to May 31, 2020. Upper limit calculation is equal to 200 percent of Federal Poverty Guidelines.I f customer is recently unemployed, the total annual household income will be calculated from the date of customer’s unemployment.
|Household Size||Total Annual Household Income|
|Each Additional Person||$8,840|
Apply for EMWD Assist
Customers will need the following items in order to complete the EMWD Assist application. To ensure a smooth application process, please have these items available before starting your application.
- Signed Medical Certificate from Primary Care Provider*
- EMWD Water Bill / Account Number
- Total number of persons in your household (including self, other adults, and children).
- Public Assistance Program OR Total Annual Household Income