Water Use it Wisely!About the Poster Contest
Contest open to grades K - 5 only.
Each year, Eastern Municipal Water District (EMWD) sponsors a poster contest for students in grades K-5. This year's theme, "Get Savvy about Water Conservation," provides budding artists the chance to illustrate the importance of water conservation.
The winning students, as well as their teachers, are honored at an awards ceremonies hosted by EMWD. Of the winning posters, the top five are submitted to The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California in Los Angeles for consideration and a possible spot on the WATER IS LIFE calendar.
Entering the Contest
- Open to Grades TK-5.
- THEME: GET SAVVY ABOUT WATER
- Request the amount of official poster paper you will require ONLINE by clicking the following link:
by 4PM September 09, 2016
- Poster paper will be delivered by EMWD to your school front office the week of September 19-23, 2016.
- Students must use official poster paper.
- All artwork must be original artwork. NO computer, trademark or copyrighted artwork will be accepted.
- Posters duplicating the artwork of past winners will be disqualified.
- Submitting more than one entry per class will disqualify all entries from that teacher.
- At least one winner will be selected per school district.
- Encourage students to focus on water conservation. For example, when watering the landscaping, sprinklers should not cause run-off water waste; or, when brushing their teeth, students should turn the water off, instead of leaving it on. Please review the more than 100 tips listed at www.usewaterwisely.org.
- Posters must be drawn horizontally within the border of the official poster paper.
- For design purposes, any writing or artwork in the 1” border area disqualifies the poster.
- Students should use BOLD, BRIGHT, and BRILLIANT colors using colored pencils, markers, paint, ink, fabric, cut paper, pencil, and/or watercolors. Crayons not recommended. If students elect to use crayons, we request that they select dark colors as the lighter colors do not show up well for reproduction purposes.
- A short message about water MUST be written on the poster within the border. Be concise, fewer words are better than more.
- Artwork becomes the property of EMWD/RCWD and may not be returned.
- Select ONE winning poster from your class and submit to your school front office by:
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 8 AM
- EMWD/RCWD will pick up winning posters from your school front office the week of October 11-14, 2016.
- Winners will be notified in late 2016 and honored at a recognition event in early 2017.
- Theme – expression
- Artistic execution
- Minimum of one winner per school district.
- Students and teachers will be honored at a ceremony in April, 2017.
Prizes awarded to teachers and students:
The winning posters will be posted on the EMWD website. Selected winning artwork will be sent on to The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California for a possible spot on their calendar. Winning student will be invited to attend a recognition ceremony in Los Angeles.
To review water wise tips, please visit: 100 Ways to Conserve Water!
For information, please contact Education Specialist Malea Ortloff by telephone or email: 951-928-3777, ext. 4405, firstname.lastname@example.org.