|photo from Google Maps|
EMWD Business Hours:
8 am to 5 pm
Monday - Friday
The New Development process is detailed in this flowchart. The following steps summarize the standard process to obtain EMWD service for new development.
Note: To ensure a streamlined process, all projects are required to start with the Due Diligence meeting described below, without requiring any deposit for plan of service, plan check or processing fees. Afterward, should you decide to pursue your project(s) with EMWD, we will require you to deposit funds with EMWD and open a Work Order, in order to better track progress, and charge our time to the project(s).
Purchasing Printed Copies
You can now purchase a printed copy of the New Development Process for Plan of Service, from the EMWD New Business Development office for $20.00. This version is provided in a tabbed binder format. Please note that the most current versions of all documents are always available on this web site. Keep your binder up-to-date by visiting the New Development Process: Print Page.
Phase 1: Due Diligence
The goal of this step is to begin the New Development process by responding to Due Diligence Questionnaire, in preparation of the Due Diligence meeting. The duration of this step varies depending on project complexity, and could be accomplished in about two to three weeks.
- First, you must complete an EMWD New Business department Due Diligence Questionnaire.
- Second, you must contact EMWD and submit the Questionnaire to staff (Development Coordinator)
- EMWD staff (Development Coordinator) will do a preliminary research, summarized in a folder, in preparation for the Due Diligence meeting with a New Business Engineer.
- EMWD will then contact the applicant to set up the Due Diligence meeting.
- Due Diligence Questionnaire for New Development
- Online (coming soon)
- Excel File
The goal of this step is to obtain an approved Plan of Service for your project. The duration of this step varies depending on project complexity.
- First, you must submit a deposit to open a Work Order with the EMWD New Business department: Please reference the Due Diligence meeting and the New Business Engineer’s name (from Step 1 above), along with your submittal.
- EMWD staff will lead the project review with you, resulting in the approval of a Plan Of Service which is valid for six months (or until Plan Check starts, whichever comes first).
- Request for Drawings
- Required Documents for Plan Of Service Submittal
- Latest Plan Of Service Summary Form
- Sample Plan Of Service Summary Form
- EMWD Water Design Criteria
- EMWD Sewer Design Criteria
- EMWD Standards for Private Connections
- Work Order Request Form
Sample Studies you might need for this step:
Once you have an approved Plan of Service, you can begin the Plan Check process. The duration of this step also depends on project complexity. Note that you must submit your design for plan check within six months of POS approval.
Make a copy of your approved Plan of Service and submit it with a deposit to open a second Work Order for the Plan Check process
EMWD staff will lead the plan check with you, resulting in signed plans /mylars. Signed plans are valid for six months (or until the start of construction, whichever comes first).
Forms you will need for this step:
- After you receive signed plans from EMWD, you must enter into a construction agreement with EMWD to build public facilities.
The construction agreement may include the following:
- certified payrolls (if prevailing wage contract)
- insurance and bonding
- frontage reimbursement map(s) (exhibits)
- proposed bids for potential reimbursement, or CFD, when applicable.
- Before receiving EMWD service, you must pay the applicable project fees, some of which are:
- EMWD Engineering & Inspection fees
- frontage fees
- special assessment fees
- fringe annexation fees
- connection fees (May be deferred until time of connection)
- Any other fees identified at time of application or during the project duration.