ARTICLE 6 – WATER CONSERVATION (page 354) of the EMWD Administrative Code outlines the latest landscape efficiency factors adopted by the District in accordance with the State Model Landscape Ordinance. The Administrative Code also enables the District to assess penalties for water waste due to runoff and to mandate water-efficient landscaping in new development.
These policies were originally adopted in 1991, but were modified in 2008 to provide long-term water reliability for existing and future customers. The revised policies include proactive measures to eliminate water waste by:
- Applying penalties to all customers for water waste pertaining to runoff. Previously, penalties only applied to commercial, industrial and institutional accounts.
- Requiring water-efficient landscaping for all new development. Previously, this applied only to large landscapes (3,000 square feet or larger).
Avoid the Penalty Box...Use Water Wisely!
Violations of the ordinance restrictions are cumulative over a 12-month period with penalties as follows:
- 1st violation: District will issue a written warning.
- 2nd violation: District will issue a final written warning.
- 3rd violation: $100 surcharge added to customer’s water bill.
- 4th violation: $200 surcharge added to customer’s water bill.
- 5 or more violations: $300 surcharge added to customer’s water bill.
Any funds collected from penalties will be dedicated to funding conservation programs.
More questions? See our FAQs...
Report a Violation
Use our online form to report water waste violations. Please provide the exact street address of where water waste is occurring, a photo (if possible), your name and phone number (your contact information is for staff use only), and email.