At Eastern Municipal Water District, we take great pride in our fiduciary responsibility to our ratepayers to ensure that we are protecting your investment and using it in the best possible manner in our continual effort to provide safe and reliable water, recycled water and wastewater service.
Over the past several years, we have implemented a series of cost-saving measures that, when coupled with a District-wide reorganization effort, has allowed us to save our ratepayers millions each year.
While many agencies are grappling with these tough economic times, our Board of Directors has shown the foresight and leadership to provide us with a sound and sustainable financial and personnel structure that will ultimately benefit our most important asset: Our customers.
- In 2012, EMWD vacated 28 positions through early retirements, a move that will save $3.4 million during the first fiscal year and millions more in subsequent years.
- EMWD established a trust to fund certain employee retirement benefits, resulting in a $30 million reduction in long-term financial liabilities.
- With the construction industry hard-hit by the economic downturn, EMWD secured much more competitive bids for a series of infrastructure improvements that will ultimately save ratepayers $120 million in reduced construction costs.
- In the past five years, EMWD has secured $90 million in grants that have helped fund vital infrastructure improvements throughout our region.
- EMWD has a AA+ credit rating that has allowed it to lock in lower interest rates on its bonds, saving nearly $12 million annually for our ratepayers in each of the past four years.
- All of EMWD’s fleet vehicles are equipped with GPS units, which have resulted in a 98 percent decrease in vehicle liability claims over the past three years.
- EMWD is in the process of switching to fixed-read meters, resulting in a reduction in man-hours for meter-reading.
EMWD understands its responsibility to be fiscally sound, and to provide the best value to the ratepayers and the communities we serve. EMWD has and will continue to pursue opportunities to provide highly efficient and cost effective public service.